Mission and Values Statement
A vibrant local society where every person feels connected to their community through active participation in volunteer-related activities.
To promote the value of volunteering and increase the range and quality of volunteering in County Longford.
Our Guiding Principles and Values
Our understanding of Volunteering is that:
· Volunteering is a legitimate way in which citizens can participate in the activities of their community
· Volunteering benefits both the community and the volunteer and gives people a sense of ownership within their local community
· Voluntary work is unpaid
· Volunteering is a vehicle for individuals or groups to address human, environmental and social needs
· Volunteering is always a matter of choice and is done of the volunteers' own free will and without coercion
We believe that:
- Volunteers should be treated with respect and dignity.
- Everyone should have an equal opportunity to volunteer.
- Volunteering should respect the rights, dignity and culture of others.
- Everyone should have a positive experience of volunteering.
- Volunteering should be a "win - win"situation for both the volunteer and the organisation.
Therefore, we are committed to:
- Promoting the value of volunteering to all sectors of the local community.
- Offering a service that will be inclusive, accessible and high quality.
- Serving as best we can every volunteer who accesses our service and ensuring that volunteers are the focus of our work.
- Resourcing and supporting volunteers to make informed choices about volunteering, maintaining relevant, up-to-date information on volunteering opportunities.
- Developing new opportunities and projects involving volunteers in their local community
- Referring volunteers to a wide range of community and voluntary projects across all sectors of the community.
- Working with organisations so that they can achieve best practice principles in volunteer management.
- Ensuring that volunteers do not replace paid workers nor constitute a threat to the job security of paid workers.
- Promoting the principles of equity and participation within the volunteer sector.
- Raising the profile of volunteering in organisations, government and the community in general.